A True Artist

A True Artist
Mr. Horton was known for designing his own costumes, sets and props.

Lester Horton Dance

Lester Horton Dance
Lester Horton in costume for his dance "Song of Hiawatha"

Horton the Teacher

Horton the Teacher
Horton in a rehearsal teaching and guiding.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Blog Assignment 1

I started dancing in junior high school.  I attended Samuel Morse Middle School, where I joined the Master Dance program in my eighth grade year.  I was exposed to jazz, lyrical, african and hip-hop during the program.  We performed at the end of the school year, in a dance concert, which was shown on three seperate nights.  After completing my junior high career, I continued my love and interest in dance into high school.
I attended Rufus King International Baccalaureate High School, where I joined the school’s dance team during my sophomore year.  The team performed at different school events, such as the Pep Rally, basketball (home) games and school programs and concerts.  While on the team, I met a friend whose mother owned her own dance and performance team called, “Dream Cheer & Dance.”  I joined this team as well, during my sophomore year.  The team did many local performances and competitions, including a Martin Luther King Day Celebration and Summerfest Dance Competition.  I continued to be a part of Dream until my senior year of high school.
During my junior year, I became captain of the high school team, which I continued throughout my high school career until I graduated.  In my senior year of high school, I participated in Danceworks’ local hip-hop convention, “Bass Box.”  I learned with various choreographers, including Jesse Lee Santos, during a one week intensive.
After graduating high school in 2007, I auditioned for the Peck School of the Arts Dance Department in July.  I was excepted into the department on a scholarship, where I am currently studying dance as a BFA Dance Major.  I am now studying Ballet, Modern, African, Jazz and Musical Theater dance techniques, as well as being exposed to various choreographic and somatic practices.  I have had the opportunity to dance in two musical theater productions;  “Oklahoma” and “Hair,” as well as perform works by Darci Wutz, Krislyn World and renowned guest artist Garth Fagan.  I had the opportunity to study the Garth Fagan technique in a three week intensive program in Rochester, New York in the summer of 2010.
I have recently finished my first major work entitled, Myth: Of Shades & Feathers and I am currently in the rehearsal process for Elizabeth Johnson’s upcoming work.  I will also be working with Gerald Castel in the upcoming semester for a restructuring of improvisational work, for his piece in the SummerDances concert in May of 2011.
I love performing and I look forward to all my future performance opportunities!

No comments:

Post a Comment